1.13.2012

Napoleon Dynamite: Boondoggle

My Napoleon Dynamite experience began on my graduation day back in 2003. After the graduation ceremony, my wife and I were standing outside in our caps and gowns waiting for our families, when one of my classmates approached me. He let me know he would be working on a film over the summer and asked me if I would be interested in joining him. A few days later, he gave me a call to tell me more about it. After hanging up the phone, my wife asked me what the film was about and I will never forget my reply: "It's called Napoleon Dynamite. It will probably be some boring documentary." It wasn't until I starting reading the script that I realized this was going to be anything but boring!

As the Art Director, my role was to assist my fellow classmate, Cory Lorenzen (the Production Designer) with all of the locations, set dressings and props. My favorite prop was Deb's purple Caboodle case. We needed to fill it with "a finity" of those little boondoggle keychains, so every spare moment on set, I was busy making these home woven handicrafts.



Here is what the case looks like today. Both Jared and Jerusha Hess (the director and writers) signed it for me.



All of the contents inside the case are new. I crack open the case about once a year to make a few more keychains. This set of keychains will be going to my coworkers to celebrate/announce the premier of the new Napoleon Dynamite animated series!


The new series has reunited the vocal talents of the entire original cast, and from the looks of things in the publicity photo below, my purple boondoggle case will be part of that reunion! I can't wait to see what other elements Cory and I created will be featured in the series.



Image courtesy of FOX.


Don't miss the 2 episode premiere this Sunday night at  8:30/7:30C and 9:30/8:30C on FOX. And be sure to get your entries in for my Valentine Challenge. In addition to the Cricut trimmer, the winner of the challenge will also be receiving a custom woven boondoggle keychain in their choice of colors. As Napoleon would say, "Lucky!"

7 comments:

Amber said...

This movie is a classic! Some guys were quoting the "nunchuck skills" scene last night at karate while I was training to be a cagefighter. I'm pretty good with a bo staff. Congrats on your art director skills; boondoggle is a must-have for this season's fashion.

Amy E said...

Okay, I was in awe of you before, but now...WOW!! You're like the boondoggle king!!! You rock!!

Melissa said...

How cool is that! My husband's friend is an Art Director... always fun to see the props that end up at his house afterward. ;)

Melody Lane Designs said...

I loved the cartoon!

Elizabeth B. Jensen said...

So glad we could have a viewing party and that you're back into making boondoggle again! My favorite part of the cartoon? Seeing your handwriting "cartoonized" on the chalkboard! That's something to add to your already amazing resume! Xoxoxo

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.com) said...

One of my husband's favorite movies. I won't be telling him about this. :)

JustYolie said...

OMG!!!! One of my favorite movies AND scenes!!! ROFLOL!!!